torsdag, november 10, 2016

An environmental angle

The english assignment is to find information about a country and the environmental challenges of that country, and what efforts are being done to prevent the pollution and destruction of the environment.

On the first lesson of this assignment we talked about using more than one source, and how that's important in order to make sure that the information you are using is correct and reliable. If multiple sources that are independent from one another give the same information, than that information is more likely to be correct. Also, when it comes to a subject such as the environment there are often many different opinions and sources saying different things.

In order to use more than one source, I showed you a couple of databases:

I used Sweden as an example, and while I searched Britannica and read the text I wrote down words and new information on a mindmap. 

If you start with using one of these and perhaps Wikipedia, then you will hopefully get some information about the country and its environmental challenges, and that will give you words and phrases to use in other searches, - for instance Google. 

After we found some information in Britannica online, we did a google search using the information we had found in Britannica. We also discussed how Google works and why these specific search results appear. For instance - does Wikipedia pay Google to always get at the top of the list? Here are some factors that affect the search result: 
  • previous search history - Google registers what I've searched before, what search results I clicked on and how long I stayed on those sites. 
  • number of clicks - the most popular sites get higher up in the result list
  • number of links - if the site is linked to a lot by others it gets higher up in the result list
  • the words I'm using in my search
  • geography - I get different results depending on where in the world I am and if I use for instance google.se or google.ru (Russia)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar